Leading Authority On Classic Film Marks Its Silver Anniversary With Special Programming Salute Throughout the Entire Month of April
Two-Week Primetime Dedication Celebrates TCM’s Fandom with 25 Fans Joining Ben Mankiewicz as Guest Programmers
Turner Classic Movies (TCM), considered throughout the industry as the definitive home of classic film and the leading authority on the genre, will celebrate its 25th anniversary on April 14th, 2019. Over the past 25 years, the iconic network has offered movie lovers cinematic treasures that highlight the entire spectrum of film history, uncut and commercial-free. To celebrate its silver anniversary, TCM will present an extensive on-air programming salute throughout the entire month of April showcasing popular programing from the TCM vault including six TCM originally produced specials such as Robert Osborne’s Best of Private Screenings and Live From The TCM Classic Film Festival: Norman Lloyd, as well as airing double features of The Best of The Essentials. Additionally, the network will air a two-week special primetime tribute with 25 of TCM’s biggest fans joining TCM Host Ben Mankiewicz as guest programmers with on-air dedications of their favorite films. The network will also launch an exclusive 25th anniversary merchandise collection featuring original archival artwork reflecting the legacy of TCM as well a commemorative 25th anniversary wine through the TCM Wine Club.
“TCM has remained true to its mission for a quarter century, airing films uncut and commercial free to a growing community of film lovers. And - we’ve truly been able to evolve the TCM brand from a cable TV network to a true lifestyle brand, with our fans at the core of everything we do,” said Jennifer Dorian, general manager of Turner Classic Movies. “Our passionate and engaged fanbase is the driving force behind our success, and it’s been thrilling to watch TCM become a gathering place for film lovers everywhere who come to us not only for the great films, but also to join a community of like-minded film lovers of all generations.”
“TCM has formed a bond with our fans like no other in television. They not only watch us, they watch over us. We wouldn’t have made it 25 years without our devoted community of movie lovers,“ said Ben Mankiewicz, TCM Primetime Host. “Their passion for film keeps us laser-focused on our mission, to preserve and protect the legacy of classic films. And I fully expect that mission to be the same when we celebrate our 50th anniversary.”
Throughout April, TCM will air special anniversary programming including:
- April 14th Anniversary Salute - to celebrate its Silver Anniversary, TCM will air films from its first ever programming lineup in 1994 including Gone With the Wind (1939), It Happened One Night (1934), The Petrified Forest (1936) and Cat People (1942)
- 25 Fan Guest Programmers – April 15th-26th – as part of a two-week primetime special, 25 of TCM’s biggest fans will join host Ben Mankiewicz as guest programmers, offering dedications of their favorite films of all time. Picked from a fan dedication contest, fans from all backgrounds and all over the U.S. , are brought together through their love of classic film to help TCM celebrate 25 years on the air
- TCM Specials – April 29th - in honor of Robert Osborne's memory, TCM will present six specials from the TCM vault, including The Best of Private Screenings, a compilation of segments from Osbornes’ series of intimate interviews, hosted by Ben Mankiewicz. Also airing that evening are Private Screenings: Robert Osborne, Robert Osborne’s 20th Anniversary Tribute, Private Screenings: Liza Minnelli and Live From The TCM Classic Film Festival: Norman Lloyd
- Best of The Essentials – Every Saturday in April – TCM will present double features showcasing The Essentials every Saturday at 8 p.m. ET in April. The franchise highlights the movies that define what it means to be a “classic” and has featured hosts Rob Reiner, Sydney Pollack Peter Bogdanovich, Molly Haskell, Carrie Fisher, Rose McGowan, Alec Baldwin, Drew Barrymore, Sally Field, David Letterman, Tina Fey and William Freidkin
- Star of the Month: Greta Garbo – April 1st- 5th- the network returns to its first-ever Star of the Month, Greta Garbo, who was originally given that designation in 1994. She was not only the premiere Star of the Month but, in the minds of many, the number one film legend of all time
To view TCM’s 25 years of milestones, fun facts, videos and more, please visit tcm.com/25.
About Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is a two-time Peabody Award-winning network that presents great films, uncut and commercial-free, from the largest film libraries in the world highlighting the entire spectrum of film history. TCM features the insights from Primetime host Ben Mankiewicz along with hosts Alicia Malone, Dave Karger and Eddie Muller, plus interviews with a wide range of special guests and serves as the ultimate movie lover destination. Currently in its 25th year as a leading authority in classic film, TCM offers critically acclaimed series like The Essentials, along with annual programming events like 31 Days of Oscar® in February and Summer Under the Stars in August. TCM also directly connects with movie fans through events as the annual TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, the TCM Big Screen Classics series in partnership with Fathom Events, as well as through the TCM Classic Film Tour in New York City and Los Angeles. In addition, TCM produces a wide range of media about classic film, including books and DVDs, and hosts a wealth of material online at tcm.com and through the Watch TCM mobile app.
Connect with Turner Classic Movies
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tcm | http://twitter.com/tcmpr
TCM Store: http://shop.tcm.com