Highlights Include Tribute To 50th Anniversary Of The Moon Landing And Network Premiere of Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope
This July, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) presents Out of This World: A Celebration of Sci-Fi Movies, an odyssey through science fiction movies from a galaxy far, far away to not-too-distant futures. Airing every Tuesday night in primetime, each evening will explore the many realms of science fiction in cinema including creature features, early sci-fi, TCM’s network premiere of Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope, and a special night of moon movies in honor of this month’s 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin’s monumental moon landing.
TCM’s celebration of science fiction films will include:
- July 2: A look at early sci-fi, including what is considered to be the first science fiction film ever made, 1902’s A Trip to the Moon, and Fritz Lang’s influential Metropolis (1927)
- July 9: Acclaimed director Frank Darabont introduces films from the 1950s, one of the most influential decades for science fiction that brought us The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), The War of the Worlds (1953) and Forbidden Planet (1956)
- July 16: In honor of this month’s 50th anniversary of the moon landing, TCM airs seminal moon movies such as Destination Moon (1950) and For All Mankind (1989). The night then continues with iconic creature features including Them! (1954) and The Blob (1958)
- July 23: TCM travels into the 1960s with 1960’s The Time Machine and 1968’s 2001: A Space Odyssey
- July 30: the final night of galactic travels features a TCM premiere of Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977) alongside Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) and Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
For more information including a complete schedule and film information, please visit http://tcm.com/outofthisworld.
About Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is a two-time Peabody Award-winning network that presents great films, uncut and commercial-free, from the largest film libraries in the world highlighting the entire spectrum of film history. TCM features the insights from Primetime host Ben Mankiewicz along with hosts Alicia Malone, Dave Karger and Eddie Muller, plus interviews with a wide range of special guests and serves as the ultimate movie lover destination. Currently in its 25th year as a leading authority in classic film, TCM offers critically acclaimed series like The Essentials, along with annual programming events like 31 Days of Oscar® in February and Summer Under the Stars in August. TCM also directly connects with movie fans through events as the annual TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, the TCM Big Screen Classics series in partnership with Fathom Events, as well as through the TCM Classic Film Tour in New York City and Los Angeles. In addition, TCM produces a wide range of media about classic film, including books and DVDs, and hosts a wealth of material online at tcm.com and through the Watch TCM mobile app.